Wednesday, 24 October 2012

My Lovely Auntie Anne

On my pleasant independent weekend I had an epiphany, I could bake whilst nobody was in the house, this is somewhat of a rarity for me; I could sing at the top of my lungs, prance around the kitchen in my pj's and whilst the oven was on shift my little bottom into the sofa and watch gossip girl.
I had all sort of thoughts on what to conjure up, but one lingering smell had wiggled its way up my nose and wasn't leaving.

Auntie Anne's Pretzels

I get a whiff everytime I'm shopping, I'm sure some of you guys have sniffed them out before, dreamy, fresh pretzels. Soon there will be no more fighting off the urge, instead you'll be racing to the nearest supermarket to pick up all your necessary ingredients and you'll be whipping up your own little healthier, cheaper batch.

Goodbye Auntie Anne, an acquisition, takeover, replacement... 
Auntie Kelly



Ingredients (this will make 12 large pretzels):
2 teaspoons of dry active yeast
500g of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
250ml warm water
2 tablespoons of butter
2 heaped tablespoons of baking soda
400ml of boiling water
1 egg
1 tablespoon of oil

Toppings:
Rock Salt,
Seasame Seeds,
Brown Sugar & Cinnamon,
Raisins 
- Whatever you please!

So, now it's the baking part, firstly you'll need to make the dough. I'm no professional bread maker, my local bakery makes smashing bread so I've never felt the need but I've done it a few times and it's so so much easier then people think. The only annoying this is you need to wait an hour for the dough to rise, but it's worth the wait!

1. Mix together the 250ml of warm water, the sugar, and the yeast until fully dissolved, place in a warm place for 10 minutes. A thin layer of foam should form on the top. 

2. Mix the flour, butter and salt together with the tips of your fingers until the mixture resembles crumbs. When the yeast mixture has slightly foamed pour it over the crumbs, combine the two so you are left with a big ball of dough.


3. With your oil lightly coat a large bowl rub your dough around the oil so a thin layer covers it. Leave it to rise for an hour to an hour and a half in a warm place.

Auntie Anne Pretzel Recipe

4. Once risen to around double the size, take one handful and start shaping the pretzels aswell as preheating the oven to 180C.

- Roll out your dough so you it is thick rope sized and around 15inches long.
- Then fold as shown below...


How to make pretzels

5. Pour boiling water into a pan approxtimately 400ml and add the baking soda, so you get a white bubbly solution, slowly dip each pretzel into the solution and then place them onto a greased baking tray.


6. Glaze the pretzels with a beaten egg and then cover with toppings you like, salt, sesame seeds, sugar or plain cook for 5-10 minutes until golden!


My piled high, light, sugar coated delights, with a little cinammon kick.


Auntie Anne Pretzel Recipe

I also made a salted batch that accompanied me to campus,

Eat immediately and if for some crazy reason you have some left over, cover them tightly!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...