Saturday, 26 January 2013

Salted Caramel Flapjacks

One of the best things about being a student is the spare time you have. Yet there's the continuous problem of budgeting. I'm pretty geeky and do a lot of work and when I get bored nothing makes me happier then whipping up something new and exciting.

I raid my kitchen cupboards and gather all my staple foods and decide on my options. I have all the ingredients that I bought when I first moved in, the items left over that can't be grabbed and eaten on busy days. This week whilst experimenting I had a major, major, major breakthrough. Salted Caramel Flapjacks. These are just too easy and cheap to make, ridiculously quick and too insanely delicious to be true. 


Sweet, salty, chewy, filthy and beyond perfect.

There's something dreamy about the combination of sweet and salt, the holy trinity of fat, salt and sugar. This recipe just ticks all the boxes. Getcha' oven mitts on.


Ingredients:
200g soft brown sugar,
200g of butter
3 heaped tbsp golden syrup
250g porridge oats
Pinch of sea salt
Butter for greasing

For Salted Caramel Sauce
100g unsalted butter
100g light muscavado sugar
25g caster sugar
3tbsp golden syrup
100ml of double cream
1 1/2 tsps of sea salt

and 75g of melted chocolate for topping

1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 9" x 13" baking tray.
2. In a saucepan place the butter, sugar, syrup and salt. Simmer whilst continuously stirring until all the butter has melted away.


3. Once your mixture has no butter lumps slowly pour in your porridge oats mix until you have a thick golden mixture for around two minutes.


4. Spread the mixture evenly into your greased tray and bake for around 20 minutes, or until golden brown. When you remove them from the oven they will still be slightly soft, but they will harden once they cool.


5. When they are cooking it's time for the 'cherry'. The salted caramel sauce. Melt the butter, both sugars and golden syrup in a pan, continuously stirring, let it simmer for 5 minutes and add your cream and salt and stir for a minute or so. If you want a thicker sauce add a little more sugar, but it will harden when it cools. Pour it out into a jug to prevent it from cooking further.


6. Cover your masterpiece in the caramel sauce and melted chocolate.


I recommend a bib. Sharing these can get messy! You can eat them hot with a big scoop of vanilla ice-cream or cold, wrapped up for work and they are great for dunking. They will last around 5 days, but if they last for more than two I'd call 0845 4647 to have your symptoms checked. Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Wow!
    Katie xx
    http://gravityandshe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I'm hungry now! that looks delicious!!!

    http://myfashionfoodstyle.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so much delicious! Yummy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to make these Kel they look amazing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look gorgeous - not exactly ideal for a "new year new me" diet though! :P

    partyatgatsbys.me

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh these looks and sound amazing! I find flapjacks so quick and simple to make as well :)

    burgundybeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy yummy cool that you made it yourself from experimentation!

    Mili from call me, Maeby

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really yummy. By myself I´m not really skilled in baking - I´m better in cooking.

    But at the moment I would like to could bake because your recipe sounds and looks great.

    xxx
    Rena

    http://dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh looks so yummy!
    http://shradhaloves.blogspot.co.uk/
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh those look absolutely delicious! I love flapjack so much! I really like your blog! I'm glad that I found it! It would be nice if you could stop by my blog sometime too (I'm from England) as I post my outfits, personal style, likes and much more :) :)

    www.raindropsofsapphire.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks really delicious!

    x
    www.cherryfactor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! These looks so yummy.
    I am saving the recipe!

    xx, A!
    glimpsesofa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't believe you! I totally love flapjacks, I'm sooooo gonna try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Caterina! They are great, let me know how they are X

      Delete
  14. Oh my gosh, this looks absolutely mouth-watering! I love sweet and salty things. Definitely need to try this out, thanks for the great recipe!

    http://andini-ria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa, pretty sinful yet I am sure, very comforting :P

    Greetings from Dubai
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES DAILY
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. THese look so good. Am salavating just reading it!! Yum xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look incredible!! I want them so bad right now haha!
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This recipe looks delightful! I love flapjacks, I indulged in a little too many when I lived in England. I will definitely be trying this. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, those look so good and sweet I got a cavity just looking at them!

    www.living-thesuite-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...