Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Dominique Ansel - THE Cronut

On my first day of work in !!!New York!!! I got to Soho extremely early mainly due to the horrendous jet lag that everyone warned me about (and I didn't truly believe) and because I'm a little explorer. So at 7am I was wandering Soho.

It was completely empty but I browsed the streets, window shopping, noting down boutiques and cafes as I started my, 'Places To Go List'. After an hour of only seeing cleaners and those workaholics who really need to take their holiday, I saw a queue of around 100 people standing outside a tiny shop. Being nosy I soon found out many had been waiting since 5am for a Cronut.

A Cronut: Half croissant, half doughnut, filled with cream and smothered with a lemony sort of icing.

People have been calling them 'a masterpiece' they were launched in May and there are still huge queues as they take 3 days to make and the bakery only sell 200 a day. A real craze.
There are even rules and regulations whilst waiting in the line. As well as 'Fake Cronuts' and 'Dossants' and hustlers selling Cronuts on Craigslist for extortionate amounts of money.

Baffled and amused Julia, Tamar and I decided to make an adventure of it and head over before work one day.


We were around the 80th in line at 7.40am. :-|
I started to question my sanity. 


At around 9.15am we made it inside... so close but so far..


Backpacks and water bottles for a real adventure!


STARVING you get to watch the chefs to do their thing and be teased with dreamy smells.


Eventually we made it and snagged one of the last few Cronuts before hearing a few angry rants and disappointed voices behind us. The buzz soon disappeared and emptied out as we made our way to the little garden out back. It seemed everyone had whisked off to work - Cronuts on the go. 


'The Masterpiece'.


Sadly VERY overrated. A little too creamy, a little too hard and a little too much lemon.
It looks much better then it tastes. It was good - that's as far as it goes.


We also had yoghurt parfait and the DKA.
The DKA was 10x better then the Cronut in my opinion. A doughy flaky croissant with caramel and bits of apple.


So, if your suffering from jet lag and fancy a little adventure it's definitely an experience. Otherwise it's a great bakery so you can pop in throughout the day and order the other delicious goodies they have to offer!
Don't worry everyone out there, you're not missing out on too much.

Krispy Kreme are just as good

9 comments:

  1. It looks quite yummy! Sounds like a cronut is all the rave. I guess it's more up to what people's taste buds are like :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that must be onw ehck of a bakery..it sure looks delicious!!

    http://jezzdallasmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. Lovely photographs!

    x
    www.thecherryfactor.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I'm so glad you shared this! That is so crazy there are fake cronut "hustlers." I just can't believe all the hype! I'm glad you waited in line though - what a fun NY adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm only discovering your blog today, but I am already a fan. I look forward to reading many more of your posts :)

    www.futurelawyergirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what are you doing in New York if you don't mind me asking- placement or something?

    Abi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Abi, course I don't mind! I interned for the Summer in a small company called The Moth doing their social media/marketing. Would hugely recommend it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...