Wednesday, 28 August 2013

The Highline & Chelsea Market


Downtown Manhattan is a real treasure, packed full of little gems. I worked in Soho and everyday I'd find a new restaurant or boutique and fall in love. Greenwich village has the best breakfast spots and cafes, the East Village the quirkiest shops, Tribeca is just so cute and cobbley whilst Wall Street couldn't be more like in the movies. I love all the little areas but my heart lies with Chelsea.

Soooo, I couldn't let these stations go by...

First Stop: The Highline

The Highline is a converted railway, which over the years has become a scenic walkway, popular among tourists and locals. With beautiful and immaculately kept public seating, vibrant greenery and a smattering of cute pop up eateries, making it one of my favourite places in NY!

The Highline will also spoil you with its public art, railway track remnants and number of spots to read and sunbathe. It extends from 14th to 30th (between 10th and 11th ave.) In it's entirety it is completely different to anything I have ever experienced.


Mum and I wandered along the Highline in the late afternoon, splashed our feet in the fresh flow of running water (I'd keep your sandals on though verukas!)


Although the food trucks on the Highline are great, the real treats lies just below (at 15th and 10th ave).

                           

Chelsea Market is an enclosed food concourse. Packed full of every gourmet food you could ever think of and every type of cuisine. Go hungry and leave bursting. A huge fresh fish shop serving every type of sashimi and the hugest lobsters you have ever seen. Amy's Bread which I'm convinced is an Italian import as well as some weird bizarre treats, you have to be adventurous - try the chocolate fried ravioli from the big fresh pasta shop and some crazy vegan sushi.


The jams, chutneys and homemade sauces are delicious and it's the easiest place to find a few gifts that don't have NYC plastered all over them, even if they are for yourself!


And if your just fancying a browse It's great to walk around with the urban, rustic decor and a definite feeling of history going on.


And don't leave without throwing a penny into the wishing well!


15 comments:

  1. Hi kelly! Done following you on bloglovin.
    Hope you could FOLLOW BACK ON GFC :)

    www.zelaldecoa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog!
    I will definitely follow you on gfc and bloglovin!

    Hope you can follow back :)

    xxSara
    withothersalone.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome and lovely post! enjoyed reading it :)
    would you like to follow each other on bloglovin?
    let me know :)
    - Janine
    http://theeoptimist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures! I like your white dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that white dress, so pretty x

    callmedreamyx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to go to New York one day!
    Following you now on bloglovin
    x

    Pippa Love

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks amazing! :) thank you for your comment on my blog! followed with GFC and bloglovin'! hope you follow back! :) xox love your blog

    http://acasuallove.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Chelsea Market look fabulous! I used to live in NY but never actually made it into New York City and I wish I would have! Looks like you are having a lovely time and I'm enjoying these beautiful pictures. Newest follower via gfc and bloglovin'
    Looking forward to your future posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing picts :)


    follow your blog :)
    to welcome:
    http://surferebelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post :)
    thank you for commenting on my blog!
    following on GFC and Bloglovin. waiting for you to follow back ^^
    keep in touch^^
    dreamloveshop.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i've never been to this area, looks really cool!

    xx fameliquorlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome places ♥
    thank you for your comment on my blog, followed your blog via GFC

    let me know if you follow me back, thanks :D
    http://ayurukhmanadewi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love spending my weekends at markets, looking for food, art and craft and interesting little things! cute photos there, lovely <3

    Check out my new blog post! :)
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool! I can't wait to check out Chelsea Market whenever I go to NYC!

    xo, Karen | sugarthesky.blogspot.com
    twitter: @sugarthesky

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did this last weekend and loved it too!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...